Pets left in agony by gin traps

TWO cats belonging to the same Worcestershire family have had their legs amputated after becoming caught in illegal traps.

Ginger male brothers Bob and Daisy have both suffered appalling injuries over the past few months, believed to have been caused by gin traps.

Owner Melanie Nicholls said Daisy came home on Tuesday, after being missing for a week, with a serious wound to his back leg.

Daisy was taken to a Worcester vet’s where his leg had to be amputated, and he is still recovering from the ordeal.

At Christmas, Bob managed to drag himself home despite having one broken leg and another leg, which was later amputated, virtually hanging off.

Mrs Nicholls, of Rectory Gardens, Broughton Hackett, said the incidents had affected the whole family.

“Vets who treated both our cats said the injuries were consistent with being caught in traps, and said other cats in the Worcester area are also suffering similar injuries,” she said.

“We cannot believe people would set traps – especially coming up to the school holidays when children are in the fields.

“Hopefully, this will prick someone’s conscience.”

Gin traps have been illegal since the 1954 Pests Act came into force.

The metal-toothed devices were traditionally used to catchy foxes,rats and rabbits, and have a spring action which is designed to trap the animals leg so it cannot escape.

RSPCA Inspector Simon Dix, who is investigating the incidents, said the incidents were a ‘disgrace’.

“Gin traps are lethal and indiscriminate devices,” he said.

“The metal-toothed jaws are extremely difficult to prise apart once an animal is caught, leaving the victim in agony as it tries to free itself.

“They have been banned for nearly 50 years and whoever has set this one has shown a complete disregard for animal welfare.

“It is a shame in the 21st century people are still behaving as if they are in the 19th century.”

Anyone with information should contact the RSPCA on 08705 555999.

Source : Halesowen News